Wednesday 8 May 2013

Health Benefits of Tea

Ahh tea. When my father was in hospital I remembered reading about a tea a few days beforehand that supports the immune system. Between visiting hours I went out and got him some of the tea in question because, though I couldn't fix him myself, I could get him a little something to help after his first operation. This got me thinking about the different health benefits of tea. Tea itself is not a homogeneous group of beverages. Different teas boast different flavours, colours and even health benefits.

I grew up in a house of coffee drinkers. I started drinking coffee around the age of 16 when my father stopped at a petrol station to get change. He handed over a coffee and I stared at it for a moment. I'd never had or even shown interest in the drink before but I sipped at it nonetheless. Where my taste buds hadn't previously developed enough to appreciate the flavour I found myself enjoying it. I drank coffee for many years savouring the bitter flavour on my tongue. It wasn't until last year, when I started making major changes to my diet, that I gave the drink up in favour of tea. I typically drink green tea with lemon, but let's take a moment to discuss various teas and what they can do for you in terms of maintaining your good health.


Green Tea:
- Can help fight cancer and heart disease.
- Lowers cholesterol
- Full of antioxidants
- Can help burn fat
- Can help prevent diabetes
- Can cleanse the palette
- Some studies suggests that it even helps fend off dementia



White Tea:
- Full of antioxidants that help prevent internal damage
- Can help to lower blood pressure
- Calming effects
- Lowers cholesterol
- Can help reduce chances of colon/stomach/prostate cancers
- Can help to strengthen bones and tackle arthritis and osteoporosis
- White tea kills viruses and bacteria, cleansing the body as a result. Great guard against coughs and colds.
- Contains small amounts of fluoride which keeps teeth and gums healthy
- Attacks free radicals to leave skin more clean and healthy
- May reduce blood sugar and increase metabolism


Chamomile Tea:
- Helps to treat insomnia and other kinds of sleep ailments
- Helps to lessen anxiety and reduce panic attacks
- Can help ease menstrual cramps, stomach flu and ulcers
- May help calm muscle twitches
- Helps reduce skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and rashes




Hibiscus Tea:
- Rich in Vitamin C, minerals and antioxidants
- Often served cold and that fruity, tart flavour is similar to cranberry juice
- Improves digestion
- Helps prevent growth of pre-cancerous cells
- Aids weight loss
- Boosts immunity
- Combats cold symptoms
- Lowers cholesterol and blood pressure
- Can lower oestrogen levels


Chai tea:
- A healthy alternative to coffee as it contains caffeine in a healthier dose.
- Rich in antioxidants and spices
- Calming and de-stressing
- Improves digestion
- Found in many different forms with different components all with their own specific health benefits.


Red Tea:
- Can help fight respiratory diseases and complications such as asthma.
- Contains significantly less caffeine than coffee but still can sharpen mental focus and improve concentration.
- Lowers cholesterol
- Lowers chance of developing arthritis in later life
- Improves digestive help and can relieve diarrhoea
- Contains fluoride and can help strengthen tooth enamel
- Contains cancer-fighting antioxidants


Studies suggest certain teas even expand the human arteries a little and therefore drinking them will help prevent fat build ups in the arteries. This will result in your body being less clogged up and improved circulation. If you know you're going to have something unhealthy for dinner why not have a mug of tea half an hour or so beforehand?

In fact having a mug or two of tea throughout the day will significantly boost your health. Swapping to tea in favour of soda, juice or squash may help improve your health invaluably.

Q:
What is YOUR favourite kind of tea?




No comments:

Post a Comment