Sunday 23 June 2013

How to become a DJ.

Whilst I was at university I was a DJ for my uni radio station. It was something that I really loved. Before I went to uni I'd make playlists for specific tasks/times (jogging/bath etc) or I'd make my own playlists for parties and DJ there. Hosting my own radio show, and eventually becoming Head of PR and Marketing for the radio station, allowed me to pursue an interest I may not have otherwise pursued. Here are a few simple tips for anyone interested in becoming a DJ.




Is being a DJ right for me?

This may sound patronisingly obvious, but to be a DJ you have to really love music. If you're someone actively involved in your chosen/favourite music scene and are opinionated about performers and their work then being a DJ may suit you. It's also best for someone that has a wide music library at their disposal to work from. Before you pursue being a DJ I highly suggest you go to clubs and watch a DJ at work. Or, if you're wanting to DJ for a radio show in a studio, listen to the radio regularly. You really need to be aware of any industry you're going into. Question where it is that you want to DJ: on a radio show, in a club? What equipment will you use? Will you create your own music/remixes? Really try to understand what it is, what you want from the experience and where you're going.

If you are looking to DJ your own club night then scope out your area. Is there an appropriate venue? Why not go speak with the manager and see if you can DJ any events there? Ask what equipment they have so you can work out what you need to provide. Then learn to read the crowd and their reactions. If the dance-floor is empty then you may need to consider playing something a little different. You'll learn how to read a crowd over time. Put together playlists in advance so you know how well one track will run into another. You don't want slow song after slow song. Listen through your playlist and move songs around to make something really great.

Also I'd say that if you want to be a DJ you should pay for your music. I understand. We live in an expensive world but as a DJ you have to love music and people that really love music pay for it. Paying for music is crucial in supporting the music scene, especially if you're involved in the alternative music scene. Piracy isn't cool because being a DJ makes you part of the music industry so help others working with you.


How do I find a venue to DJ at?

Keep an eye out for new venues opening in their area as they can be quite open to a DJ approaching them as it may help their business. Plan your club night. How will you market it? What music will you play? What equipment are you bringing and how will you transport it to the event? Is your event appropriate to the area you're in? Will it be popular and successful?

Once you've found a venue it is crucial to start advertising the event in advance. Harness social media websites as well as traditional methods like flyer-giving and poster placing to gain as much attention as possible for your event.

How do I host a radio show and DJ on air/online?

Many universities or colleges will have a campus radio station. Also do research on any local radio stations in your area that broadcast on air in the traditional manner or online. Online radio is becoming more and more popular. All I have to say on this is just do your research. I looked up my university  radio station before I even moved to the area. It was because of how passionate my pitch was that they took me on and I was involved with them all three years I was there. Just keep looking, remain confident and run your pitch by a few people in advance. Look for radio and media internships in the hopes of finding something.



However you go about it, go with confidence. This is something anyone can learn to do and do well over time. If you want to do well you'll have to work hard at at. I wish you all the best of luck if this is something you choose to pursue. I really enjoyed my time as a DJ and will look into getting back into it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment