Thursday 25 July 2013

Holiday Book Review: The Book of Human Skin and Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad

Here I want to share a few of the books I read and enjoyed on my holiday. I packed almost eight books but didn't read through all of them as expected. I found myself really relaxing by swimming in the pool or snoozing in the shade. For all the books I didn't get around to reading I shall read and review them later. I'm currently working through Far Afield by Susanna Kaysen. I've also been flicking through Virginity: A Cultural History by Anke Bernau which has been an interesting read thus far. Whilst I was in Huddersfield for my university graduation I went into the discount bookstore and managed to buy eight new books so I'll have no shortage of reading material over the next few weeks. That said here are the two books I really enjoyed whilst on holiday:


The Book of Human Skin by Michelle Lovric is a wonderful slice of fiction. Set in Venice, surrounding the inhabitants of the glorious Palazzo Espagnol, the book focuses on the Fasan family. There is the devilishly dark Minguillo and his cherubic sister Marcella who threatens Minguillo and his right to his own inheritance after the passing of his father. Minguillo then makes it his personal mission to destroy his sister whilst seriously underestimated he goodness and how much she is loved by those around her. With multiple narrators and , this may not be what you'd consider 'light' holiday reading. Lovric appears to have done a good deal of research on various prevalent topics and themes within the novel which makes for an interesting read. If you're a fan of any Gothic Literature, the works and writing of Anne Rice or shows like Hannibal, Game of Thrones or The Borgias on HBO etc I would recommend this book for you. This dazzlingly dark novel will certainly prove an interesting reads as it turns one of the most beautiful cities in Europe into a much more grim place. The story is shocking and amusing in all the right measures. Don't read this book if you have a queasy/weak stomach.



Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight? Confessions Of A Gay Dad by Dan Bucatinsky was a little bit more light-hearted. In fact I devoured this book within 24 hours near the end of my holiday. This book is made up of little snippets and stories of Dan's journey into parenthood and some of the unique problems Dan and his partner Don have faced. The pages are full of candid and witty confessions of parental anxieties and personal transformations into parental roles.
This book had me chuckling away by the poolside.
Ultimately this is a book about love and about family. I highly recommend this to anyone, especially if you have children or are hoping to start a family soon. Having worked in TV, Bucatinsky knows exactly how to captivate and entertain an audience. This certainly is a must read for anyone within the LGBTQ community. I loved this book more than Pad Thai.


No comments:

Post a Comment